Starting with the second (sophomore) year, Georgetown students may enroll in classes at other Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU) schools pending space available in the class, and the approval of an academic advisor and the Assistant Registrar for SFS-Qatar. Students may not take more than one consortium class in a semester and may not take more than four such courses over the period of their degree.
Currently, cross-registration is offered at:
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Northwestern University
- Texas A&M University
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Weill-Cornell Medical College
Cross-registration courses can count towards fulfilling the requirements of the BSFS degree. In order to earn Georgetown credit for a cross-registration course, you must pass it with a grade of C or higher. The grade you earn in a cross-registration course will appear on your Georgetown transcript, but will not be factored into your cumulative GPA.
Ordinarily, cross-registration courses count as free electives. However, a student can petition to have a cross-registration course count as major or certificate credit at SFS-Q. To do so, students should present a copy of the course syllabus for review to their academic advisor.
Classes available for cross-registration will be posted each semester. Students must do the following to register:
- Complete the cross-university registration request form. Download it here
- Discuss course request with your academic advisor and receive approval.
- Present registration form to Assistant Registrar and receive approval.
- Submit registration form to the institution presenting that course
- Wait for confirmation from the institution. If you do NOT obtain a seat, please make sure you advise the Assistant Registrar to have that course removed from your SFS-Q registration record.
- If necessary, make any changes to your schedule by the add/drop deadline for that semester.
- Students studying abroad at SFS-Q are eligible to take cross-registration courses and must follow the same registration procedures and policies as SFS-Q students.
Download the Cross Registration Form. The form must be typed, not handwritten.
SPRING 2017 cross-registration information:
Please check with the host institution what their application deadlines are. For most of the universities, applications will close on either Tuesday 10 January or Wednesday 11 January 2017.
Georgetown University in Qatar (GUQ): Courses - Select Spring 2017 main campus, then Part of Term = SFS Qatar; Please see notes below:
1) Students wishing to take an ARABxxx or FRENxxx course MUST take a language placement test - no exceptions. The test will be held on Sunday 8 January 2017 at 4:00pm Doha time. We will keep the Registrar/Student Records offices informed of language placement tests details.
2) Applications for cross-registration will close at 12 noon 5pm on Monday 9 January 2017. Completed forms should be submitted to the office of the Assistant Registrar, Room 1D16 in the Academic Affairs suite of the GU-Q building. Forms not completed in full or missing the passport copy will be rejected.
3) A list of courses available for cross-registration can be found here.
Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar (CMUQ): Courses (link is external) - Go to Course Search, select Doha, Qatar under Teaching Location. CMUQ will start accepting spring 17 cross registration forms from January 8 (Sunday) until the 4th day of classes January 11 (Wednesday). Forms to be submitted in office room # 1101 (Student Affairs area).
Northwestern University in Qatar (NUQ): Courses (link is external). NU-Q will start accepting cross registration forms for Spring 17 courses from Wed, 4th Jan to Wed, 11th Jan. Please note we will be in the new campus of NU-Q adjacent to Georgetown from 2nd January 2017. Forms to be submitted to Student Records office # G-116/ G-110F (Admissions Area)
Texas A&M University in Qatar (TAMUQ): Courses (link is external). TAMU-Q requires you to submit both the paper Cross-registration application form, and an online application form. The ‘cross-registration applicant’ link to apply online can be found here (link is external). TAMUQ will begin to accept cross registration forms on Jan 3 at 10:00 a.m. Deadline to submit forms will be Wednesday January 11.
Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar (VCUQ): See the course schedule here. Classes at VCUQatar begin on January 3. Cross-registration application forms can be submitted from January 3 at 8:00am. Deadline to submit those forms will be January 9 at 2:00pm.
Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMCQ): See the course schedule here. A list of courses can be found here. Please be advised that WCM-Q is currently accepting course Registration forms for the Spring 2017 semester. Although the deadline to submit the completed form is EOB Monday November 28th, 2016, WCM-Q will continue to accept Registration Forms until Thursday January 12th, 2017 (the end of the first week of classes). Please note: if the student is enrolling for the first time at WCM-Q, they need to submit a colored copy of their passport along with their registration form.
SUMMER 2017 cross-registration information:
Please check with the host institution what their application deadlines are.
Georgetown University in Qatar (GUQ): Courses - Select Summer 2017 main campus, then Part of Term = SFS Qatar; Please see notes below:
1) Students wishing to take an ARABxxx or FRENxxx course MUST take a language placement test - no exceptions.
2) Applications for cross-registration will close at 3pm on Sunday 14 may 2017 2017. Completed forms should be submitted to the office of the Assistant Registrar, Room 1D15 in the Academic Affairs suite of the GU-Q building. Forms not completed in full or missing the passport copy will be rejected.
3) Classes start on Sunday 14 May, and end on Thursday 15 June 2017. Students must attend ALL sessions.
Northwestern University in Qatar (NUQ): Schedule can be found here.
We will start accepting applications from Sunday, 7th May. The deadline for accepting cross-registration application is Sunday, 14th May at 3 pm. The first day of Summer school is 14th May 2017.
Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar (VCUQ): See the course schedule here. At this time, none of the courses are open to cross registration. They may be later.