UREP 20th Cycle Guide
Recognizing the importance of introducing research in undergraduate education in Qatar, the Undergraduate Research Experience Program (UREP) engages undergraduates in hands-on research activities under the mentorship of faculty at educational institutions in Qatar.
Applications for the UREP are accepted by Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) on annual basis.
Georgetown University in Qatar
- Faculty residing in Qatar deemed as Lead Faculty Member on the proposal.
- Undergraduates residing in Qatar.
- Faculty & undergraduates in Doha, Qatar and Education City
Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Georgetown University in Qatar advises that all students have no less than a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Online Registration & Proposal Preparation – Applicable to Faculty and Student: Monday, September 26th, 2016, 12 p.m.
- Deadline for Online Proposal Submission – Applicable to Faculty and Student: Monday, October 17th, 2016, 12 p.m.
- $2,300 for travel and supplies, $1,500 for student support, $1,000 for faculty support
Required Components of the Application
- Primary Faculty Member (PFM) and Student(s) (and collaborating faculty if applicable) Registration
- Student Information, Frascati Classification & Project Title
- Abstract of the Research Project
- Role of the Undergraduate Researchers
- Summary of Expected Benefits
- Detailed Budget of Expected Expenses
The PFM must only choose students participants from his/her own institution. No students from other academic institutions may participate in the submitted proposal without a mentor from that institution. Faculty and students may however collaborate across institutions.
Proposal Online Submission Process
QNRF has implemented a new online registration process of the UREP proposals that requires the following steps to be followed:
- The Primary Faculty Member (PFM) must first register himself at https://qnrfsubmission.info, and then choose “Participant” from the dropdown menu. The registration process does require that the resume (CV) is readied in a PDF format before uploading.
- Participating students must also register at https://qnrfsubmission.info, and then choose “Undergraduate Student” from the dropdown menu, and provide the required data and contact details.
- The PFM, collaborating faculty members, mentors and students may register at any time. They must all be registered before going on to the next step.
- Once the online proposal submission is open for this cycle (Monday 12 p.m. September 26, 2016) the PFM would then re-enter the site, choose “Proposal Registration” tab and provide details of the proposal. The PFM would then receive a UREP registration number for the proposal in the format UREP20-NNN-N-NNN by email and by SMS. If a proposal is registered or is submitted twice in the same UREP cycle, the proposal will be eliminated in the screening process and will not be sent to the peer reviewers.
- Once the proposal is registered, the PFM would then proceed with the rest of the registration process by providing the information on the remaining participants; namely, other (if any) faculty members, collaborating mentors and students by entering their email addresses (their information will be retrieved from their own registration process).
- In addition to inviting the students to participate in the proposal, and if the PFM intends to nominate a collaborating faculty member or a mentor from non-educational institution (by using their emails), the online system will send an email to all participants informing them of their nomination. It is the responsibility of the PFM to inform all participants in the proposal that they should then login to their respective accounts at the above links (in 3-3-1 or 3-3-3) to their “Welcome to the Submission” page and access the “Participation Requests” tab in order to either accept or decline the nomination. The PFM would not be able to do a final submission of the proposal to the Research Office (RO) until all participants have responded to the PFM’s nomination.
- The PFM would then upload and submit the completed proposal in PDF format. An empty Word document sample of the proposal may be obtained by pressing Ctrl key and clicking here (or downloading it from the Download Center by clicking here). (See also Appendix 1 below for the required sections and details of the proposal). It is strongly recommended that PFM does not wait until a few hours before the deadline of 12:00 p.m. noon on Monday October 17th, 2016 before completing the submission process as online submission problems were not resolved in such a short time in previous cycles. QNRF would not be able to reopen the online submission after the above deadline.
Timeline for 20th Cycle
Start of proposal online submission: Noon, Monday September 26th, 2016
Deadline for proposal online submission: Noon, Monday, October 17th, 2016
Deadline for RO Vetting: Noon, Monday, October 24th, 2016
Ineligible Proposal Notification: November 2016
Announcement of Awards: February 2017