Wellness Outreach & Health Promotion Programs
- Daily Wellness Fruit. We know how important it is to maintain adequate nutrition throughout the day. We also know how we don’t always plan ahead and pack a nutritious snack, and all you are left with are less-than-satisfying and usually not-so-healthy snack options. Well, SWCC is here for you! We provide fruit for students during the fall and spring semesters, so stop by SWCC for your healthy snack!
- SAHA (Students Achieving Healthy Aims) Sessions. Periodically through the academic year, we present information on a different topic related to health and wellness. The session lasts for an hour and a half, but you can come and go as you wish. These sessions are not a presentation, but rather an informal presentation of information. This allows students the opportunity to review provided literature on the topic, engage in an activity associated with the topic (if available), and/or ask questions to either the Student Wellness Counsellor or other expert from the community.
- Wellness Movie Series. During the academic year, we show a movie that includes a theme of a physical and/or mental health topic. This is a more fun and engaging way to learn about various health and wellness topics and to begin a discussion about how media portrays the issue/topic; what our thoughts, feelings, concerns, questions, and opinions are on the topic; and how this topic may affect us in our lives. Come learn more about various health and wellness issues while enjoying a movie with some friends.
- Special Preventive and Educational Programs. These programs happen throughout the year. They might be an individual activity or event focused on a specific health and wellness topic or it could be a series of events and activities all centred on a common health and wellness theme. This also includes Stress-Less Week (activities planned to decrease stress during the week prior to final exams) and Healthy Start for a Great Finish (breakfast provided during exam days to help optimize your performance).
- Health and Wellness Challenges. During the year, there may be opportunities for you to challenge yourself and/or compete against your fellow Hoyas. Not only do you get the opportunity to win a healthier lifestyle, but you may even win some other, more tangible goodies!
- Fitness Classes. Look out for our emails and announcements on a variety of fitness and meditation classes offered in the building for free of charge to all enrolled students.
- “Student Health 101” Online Wellness Magazine. Every month a new edition is sent to your inbox (as well as posted on our website!). You will find great articles helping you be healthier in your life, your academics, and your relationships. You might also be one of the lucky individuals who win cash! Either way, reading this online magazine will help you to become a winner!
- Facebook. SWCC is on Facebook as “GU-Q Student Wellness and Counseling Center.” Not only will you be kept up-to-date on activities and events we are planning, but you will also be linked to current information and news articles related to health and wellness. We know you’re logging on right now, so find us and “like” us – we already like you.