All non-Qatari students attending Georgetown University-Qatar require sponsorship to live in Qatar. New non-resident international students must work with Student Affairs to acquire sponsorship from Qatar Foundation. The process of getting a residency permit takes 4-6 weeks, and you can help by making sure we have a passport photo of you and a document showing your blood type. Not having these items will delay the process. You will not be able to leave Qatar until your RP process is complete, unless there is an emergency.
Students may be sponsored by their families if their families reside in Qatar. If you are under family sponsorship, please inform the Office of Student Development and provide a copy of your Qatar ID.
NEW FEES: QF-sponsored students requiring an Exit Permit or Residency Permit renewal must now submit payment for the fee to Georgetown Finance prior to processing. Please see the Fees and Process guidelines.
Travel and Exit Visa Process
In order to exit Qatar, all students sponsored by Qatar Foundation must:
- Fill out an Exit Visa Request Form for each trip.
- Pay QR 10 fee to Zuzanna Tamas in the GUQ Finance office (1st Floor). You will need to show Omar Al Swadi the receipt in step 5.
- While you are there, get a signature from Zuzanna Tamas. Your balance owed must be less than $2,000 to be cleared.
- Obtain a signature from QF Finance. They are in Portacabin 4 and are open from 8am to 2pm weekdays.
- Submit the completed Exit Visa Request Form to Immigration and Government Affairs Manager, Omar Al Swadi, at least 5 days prior to departure.
Omar's office is on the 1st floor in the Human Resources Suite.
Once the permit is issued, Omar will email it to you. Print it and take it with you to the airport. It may be necessary to present a copy at passport control.
If you have any further questions or issues about immigration, you can call Omar. His office line is +974 4457-8295.
Omar Al Swadi can also assist with the following services:
- Obtaining a Residence Permit
- Renewing a Residence Permit
- Obtaining a Letter of No Objection
Entry Visas for Visiting Family Members
If a member of your family needs a visa to enter Qatar, and you are under Qatar Foundation/GU sponsorship, please follow the policy at this link.