Safety and Security
At Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q), we take the safety and security of our students, faculty and staff and their family members very seriously. As part of a continuous effort, GU-Q has put in place several procedures to ensure students, employees and their family members are kept safe whether they are at work, at home, or elsewhere in the city of Doha.
Education City aims to provide a safe and secure work and study environment. Qatar Foundation Security is in operation 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week to ensure that all students, staff, and faculty are safe.
Qatar is an extremely safe country. However, in Doha, as in any major city there is a certain amount of crime and it it important to be aware of your surroundings at all time and to take proper precautions to ensure your safety and that of your property.
Responding to an Emergency
GU-Q strives to prevent problems before they occur, to respond swiftly and effectively when problems arise and to maintain essential services and business operations after a serious incident.
We encourage our community members to refer to the following helpful guidelines as to how to respond in the event of an emergency.
- Student ID cards will be issued. Carry this along with your Qatar ID at all times while in Education City. Either will be checked upon entrance to the campus, buildings or parking lot.
- Do not lend anyone your identification cards. Immediately report the loss or theft of your card to the Security Control.
- Do not leave valuable items such as wallets, purses, mobile phones, or laptops unattended.
- Carry your GU-Q emergency contact card with you at all times.
- The speed limit in Education City is 40 kph on the roads and 10 kph in the parking lots, unless otherwise noted. Speed is measured by electronic means throughout the campus.
- Ensure that your vehicle is registered with QF security to facilitate entry to the campus and to park on-site.
- Park only in designated areas. Do not park in disabled parking spaces without a permit. Do not park on the main roads.
- If you are involved in a traffic accident, do not move your vehicle. Call Security Control immediately at +974-4492-7350. The police will be called so that an accident report can be produced for insurance purposes.
The US Embassy has a Warden System that is used by the Embassy to immediately notify those registered of any serious incident happening in the immediate area or to provide information on a serious situation that may have occurred elsewhere but impacts Qatar. Please make sure to register online here.
Note: When registering, please make sure to identify your employer/affiliate as Georgetown University.
In addition, please make sure to update your personal information. If your phone number or family situation has changed, you should re-register with this new information.
If You are Not a U.S. Citizen
Non-U.S. employees working in Qatar are should also register with their home country's embassy. Your embassy needs to be aware of your presence in Qatar, so that they can assist you in the event of an emergency. As the process for registering with embassies varies, please contact your embassy directly for information on how to register.
A complete listing of embassies in Qatar, along with phone numbers and/or e-mail addresses, can be found in the latest version of Marhaba guide, copies of which may be found in the GU-Q Human Resources office.
The Embassies Abroad website and Qatar Visitor website also include contact information for several embassies located in Qatar.
If you need any assistance with embassy registration, please contact GU-Q Human Resources
GU-Q Security : 4457-8458
Education City Emergency (on-campus) : 4454-0999
Doha Emergency (off-campus): 999
Student Affairs/ Wellness on-call : 5503-9044