Working at SFS-Q
The School of Foreign Service in Qatar (SFS-Q) is located in Education City in Doha, Qatar and is a branch of the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service. SFS-Q offers a four-year undergraduate curriculum leading to the Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service (BSFS) degree identical to that offered on the Main Campus of Georgetown University in Washington, DC. Each year, SFS-Q admits a class of approximately 75+ students, primarily from the Middle East, South and Southeast Asia, who take courses on and will graduate from the Doha campus. The students and facilities of SFS-Q are outstanding. Compensation, terms of employment and professional opportunities for SFS-Q faculty are highly competitive.
Polices and Procedures
Georgetown University School of Foreign Service (SFS-Q) Human Resources Policies are the primary means for communicating and interpreting human resources policies, programs, and procedures to people at SFS-Q. The policies are in keeping with the values and goals of the University and are compliant with Qatar Labor Law. The information is published and maintained so that human resources matters can be handled more consistently and equitably throughout the University.
Full-time employees at SFS-Qatar are paid monthly by direct deposit to accounts in either the United States or Qatar. As deadlines for payroll are fixed, we encourage employees to submit their direct deposit application as soon as possible.
Part time hourly employees are paid bi-weekly.
For all employees: You must complete and submit a SFSQ Bank Deposit Form to the Finance Department.
If you open a bank account in Doha, paychecks will be issued in Qatari Riyals instead of U.S. Dollars. Payment is made at a fixed exchange rate of 3.65 Riyals to 1 U.S. Dollar.
All full time sponsored employees of Georgetown University receive a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Medical insurance (100% employer funded premiums)
- Dental insurance (requires employee contribution)
- Georgetown-provided, fully furnished accommodation or a housing allowance
- Annual home leave allowance (to cover home leave airfare expenses for the employee and any dependents that have relocated)
- Monthly transportation allowance (to cover the cost of commuting within Doha)
- Educational reimbursement for dependent children under age 18
- Employee Assistance Program benefit
- Leave and holiday
If you have any questions related to your benefits or about applying for Educational Assistance please contact David Phongsavan.
The Georgetown Building gym provides a convenient, safe and healthy campus environment for GU-Q faculty, staff and students by providing facilities and wellness support to meet the evolving needs of the University’s. Click here for more info.
The GU-Q gym is equipped with professional quality exercise equipment from Hammer Strength, Life Fitness, and other top companies. Click here for hours of operation and more.
Employees IDs and Vehicle Permits
After arrival in Doha, you will need to obtain the following cards:
Employee ID cards are necessary for accessing many parts of the building - including after hours. The HSSE Office will assist you in obtaining an Employee ID card. Please contact us directly.
Vehicle permits are required both for accessing the Education City campus and for parking in the underground parking lot beneath the Georgetown building. To obtain a vehicle permit, please complete a vehicle permit request form and submit to the HSSE Office.
Hamad Medical Cards are necessary for seeking care through the State of Qatar public medical system. To acquire a card, please complete a Hamad Medical Card application and submit it to Mary Bryan. Please note: you must first have received your residence permit before you may apply for a card.
Qatar ID Cards will be issued to you upon your completion of your residence permit. Each of your dependents 14 and over will also receive an ID card, which is valid for the length of your residence permit. Omar Al Swadi in Human Resources will assist you in obtaining your residence permit, and will also process your Qatar ID renewal.
Georgetown University grants to eligible employees paid leave for rest and recreation; personal reasons; health maintenance; illness, injury or disability religious observances; or emergencies.
All employees (staff and AAP's) who take paid leave must submit their time off in our GMS system, which will then be approved by their supervisor.
Important: Make sure to notify your Calling Tree Leader about your travel or leave plans. The primary purpose this practice is for the ERT to determine the whereabouts/accessibility of employees during emergencies.
SFS-Qatar Holidays 2014-2015
- Eid Al Fitr (3 days) – July 28, 2014 – Monday (SFS-Qatar will be closed July 28th, 29th and 30th)
- Eid Al Adha (3 days) – October 4, 2014 – Saturday (SFS-Qatar will be closed October 5th, 6th and 7th)
- Qatar National Day - December 18, 2014 – Thursday
- Christmas Eve - December 24, 2014 – Wednesday
- Christmas Day - December 25, 2014 – Thursday
- Winter Holidays - December 28th (Sunday), December 29th (Monday), December 30th (Tuesday)
- New Year's Eve - December 31, 2014 – Wednesday
- New Year’s Day - January 1, 2015 – Thursday
- Qatar National Sports Day – February 10, 2015 – Tuesday
- Easter Sunday – April 5, 2015 – Sunday